Before we dig into the 12 principles, one last general post. Permaculture is a huge topic and there are a lot of resources available online to learn more about it. Here are a few I really like (I have no financial relationship with any of the companies or websites mentioned below. I receive no remuneration for mentioning them on this blog.)
- The website Permaculture Principles talks about the principles and also has a lot of resources you can purchase or download.
- PermaWiki: A collaborative effort to exchange information about permaculture, sustainability, environmentalism and organic gardening.
- Worldwide Permaculture Network: An interactive database showcasing permaculture projects and practitioners worldwide.
- We The Trees: A crowd-funding platform that lets you help make permaculture, endeavors become a reality.
- Harmony Park in Clarks Grove, Minn., is a wonderful example of permaculture principles in practice.
- Gale Woods Farm in Minnetrista may not talk about itself as a permaculture farm but it uses a lot of the practices. They give tours in this teaching space.
It’s all about the seeds with us gardeners, isn’t it? I buy my seeds from only a few companies, which are NOT subsidiaries of the largest seed companies in the world — Monsanto, DuPont, Sygenta, Land O’Lakes, etc. You can get non-GMO, organic, heirloom and non-treated seed from them.
Looking for local businesses to help you move your permaculture designed garden to the next level? Just love to browse garden stores? These are my favorites. (Again, I have no relationship with these stores other than being a customer and loving them!)
- Egg Plant Urban Farm Supply, 1771 Selby Ave., St. Paul. They offer plants, tools and classes.
- Mother Earth Gardens, 3738 42nd Ave. S., Minneapolis. They have organic seeds and plants, native plants and classes in the dead of winter to whet your appetite for spring.
If you are looking for a larger collection of native plants, try these:
- landscapealternatives.com, 25316 St. Croix Trail, Shafer, Minn. – 651-257-4460
- email@example.com, 32115 Prairie Lane, Winona, Minn. 55987
- Prairie Restoration, prairieresto.com, Scandia, Minn.
- Sam Kadem Nursery and Garden, 1214 191St. East, Hastings
Next week, we’ll begin looking at the permaculture principles.